|Solanum lycopersicum seed|
The word "tomato" may refer to the plant (Solanum lycopersicum) or the edible, typically small red, fruit that it bears.While it is botanically a fruit, it is considered a vegetable for culinary purposes
Tomatoes contain all four major carotenoids: alpha- and beta-carotene, lutein, and lycopene. These carotenoids may have individual benefits, but also have synergy as a group (that is, they interact to provide health benefits).
1. Tomatoes are good for your skin.Tomatoes contain a high level of lycopene, which is a substance that is used in some of the more pricy facial cleansers that are available for purchase over-thecounter.If you want to try tomatoes for skin care, you need to start with about eight to twelve tomatoes. Peel the tomatoes and then place the skin on your face with inside of the tomato touching your skin.Leave the tomatoes on your face for a minimum of ten minutes, then wash. Your face will feel clean and shiny. Some redness may occur, but should fade with time.
2. Tomatoes help prevent several types of cancer. A number of studies have been conducted that indicate that the high levels of lycopene in tomatoes works to reduce your chances of developing prostate,colorectal and stomach cancer. Lycopene is a natural antioxidant that works effectively to slow the growth of cancerous cells. Cooked tomatoes produce even more lycopene, so go ahead and cook up a batch of your mom’s famous tomato soup.
3. Tomatoes help maintain strong bones. Tomatoes contain a considerable amount of calcium and Vitamin K. Both of these nutrients are essential in strengthening and performing minor repairs on the bones as well as the bone tissue.
4. Tomatoes help repair damage caused by smoking. No, eating tomatoes is not the most recent fad to help you quit smoking. However, tomatoes can reduce the amount of damaged done to your body by smoking cigarettes. Tomatoes contain coumaric acid and chlorogenic acid that work to protect the body from carcinogens that are produced from cigarette smoke.
5. Tomatoes provide essential antioxidants.Tomatoes contain a great deal of Vitamin A and Vitamin C. This is primarily because these vitamins and beta-carotene work as antioxidants to neutralize harmful free radicals in the blood. Free radicals in the blood stream are dangerous because it may lead to cell damage. Remember, the redder the tomato you eat is, the more beta-carotene it contains. In addition, you also want to keep in mind that cooking destroys the Vitamin C, so for these benefits, the tomatoes need to be eaten raw.
6. Tomatoes are good for your heart.Because of the Vitamin B and potassium in tomatoes, they are effective in reducing cholesterol levels and lowering blood pressure. Therefore, by including tomatoes in your regular balanced diet you can effectively prevent heart attacks, strokes as well as many other heart related problems that may threaten your life.
7. Tomatoes are good for your hair. The Vitamin A in tomatoes works perfectly to keep your hair shiny and strong. In addition, it also does wonders for your eyes, skin, bones and teeth.
8. Tomatoes are good for your kidneys. Adding tomatoes without seeds to your diet has been proven in some studies to reduce the risk of kidney stones.
9. Tomatoes are good for your eyes. The Vitamin A found in tomatoes is fantastic for improving your vision. In addition, eating tomatoes is one of the best foods to eat to prevent the development of night blindness. Cataracts are the most common causes of visual problems.Decrease in the level of vitamin C in the lens of the human eye leads to increased number of cataracts. Increase of vitamin C in tomato intake increases the blood supply to the visual zones of the body and helps to cure this eye disorder.
10. Tomatoes are good for diabetics. Tomatoes are packed full of the valuable mineral known as chromium. It works effectively to help diabetics keep their blood sugar levels under better control
11. Lower Cholestrol . A Tomato- cholesterol free and a good source for diet; it won’t add cholesterol to the diet. A cup of tomato provides 9% of fiber that helps you to lower the high cholesterol levels. Tomatoes also contains niacin (vitamin B3),which has been used as a safe way to lower cholesterol levels.
12. Lower Blood Pressure .The tomatoes provide significant drop in blood pressure. After 8 weeks, ongoing tracking of daily tomato ingestion (in the form of lycopene complex – a tomato extract) showed a drop in both the blood pressure top number (systolic) by 10 points and the bottom number (diastolic) by 4 points.
13. Protection from cell Damage .The tomatoes are excellent source of antioxidant lycopene. Antioxidants travel through the body, neutralizing dangerous free radicals that otherwise damage cells and cell membranes. Free radicals escalate the progression or severity of atherosclerosis, diabetic complications, asthma, and colon cancer. High intakes of lycopene have been shown to help reduce the risk or severity of all of these illnesses.
14. Counteract Acidosis . Acidosis, is a main cause of calcium loss, fatigue, headache,sleeplessness, muscle aches, acne, eczema, arteriosclerosis, sexual dysfunction, hormone imbalance, depression, and degenerative conditions. Our bodies are designed to maintain an alkaline balance with a pH of 7.365.By including plenty of alkaline minerals in our diets calcium, magnesium, potassium and sodium we help our body maintain its alkaline balance naturally. Tomatoes are excellent sources of calcium, magnesium, and potassium and can aid in preventing acidosis.
15. Reduce Migraines .Tomatoes are an outstanding source of riboflavin, which helps for reducing the migraine attacks.
16. Boost Immunity .Due to consumption of tomatoes helps to avoid flu and colds, especially for males. These common illnesses are widely believed to be rooted in carotenoid deficiencies, including low amounts of lycopene and beta carotene in our body. Drinking tomato juices assists in building defenses against colds and flu.
17. Natural Unscreen .It has been showing that lycopene in tomatoes works as a natural sunscreen and provide protection against UV rays.
18. Treatment of Vasolidation .Vitamin C has effectively resulted in proper dilation of blood vessels in the cases of atherosclerosis, congestive heart failure, high cholesterol, angina pectoris, and high blood pressure. It has been found that supplements of vitamin C improve blood vessel dilation.
19. Lead Toxicity .Lead Toxicity is a severe health problem found in children, especially in the urban areas. Abnormal development and growth has been found in children who are exposed to lead. They develop behavioral problems, learning disabilities and have low IQ. It may damage the kidney and increase blood pressure in adults. Vitamin C supplements reduce the blood lead level. Hence by intake of tomato lead toxicity can be reduced among the children. Hence tomato has rich in vitamin c due to this it can able to lower this risk factor.
20. Combating Stroke .Vitamin C in tomato or Ascorbic Acid helps in reducing the risk of stroke, a kind of cardiovascular disease. A diet full of vegetables and fruits produces good quantity of vitamin C which maintains the appropriate blood pressure level. It also protects the body from free radicals which could be the reason for the stroke.
21. Mood .Vitamin C present in the tomato plays a key role in the production of neurotransmitters, If vitamin c is less then they can affect the mood of a person and are critical to the proper functioning of the brain.
22. Half-ripe tomatoes offer an excellent remedy in all sorts of liver troubles.Tomatoes stimulate torpid liver and are very good for dyspepsia, diarrhea and dysentery.
23. As it is a rich source of vitamin C, it is very valuable in scurvy.
24. Half ripe tomatoes are very valuable in summer diarrhea. But it should be taken with musumbi (lime) juice.
25. It is also very effective in dysentery. But it should be taken with garlic and musumbi (lime) juice.
26. Half ripe tomatoes are very useful in hot summer months as it prevents sun stroke or heat stroke.
27. Tomatoes are usually effective in heartburn, flatulence or indigestion.
28. Half-ripe tomatoes are usually given in dyspepsia.
29. Tomatoes contain all four major carotenoids. alpha- and beta-carotene, lutein, and lycopene. These carotenoids may have individual benefits, but also have synergy as a group (that is, they interact to provide health benefits).
30. Tomatoes and broccoli have synergy that may help reduce the risk of prostate cancer. One study showed that prostate tumors grew much more slowly in rats that were fed both tomato and broccoli powder than in rats given lycopene as a supplement or fed just the broccoli or tomato powder alone.
Oxalic acid content of tomato is relatively less than beets, potatoes, cucumber and lettuce. Experts now recommend inclusion of tomatoes in the diets of gall bladder patients. It may aggravate gout problems and uric acid diseases. In fact, tomato is included in the diet as it has uric acid lowering effect.
Heirloom and Rare.From Kashmir Himalayan Region
Red Tomato Seeds -Wild
(Solanum lycopersicum formerly Lycopersicon esculentum )
Packets contain approximately 20 seeds
The Jammu and Kashmir medicinal Plants Introduction Centre
"Ginkgo House", Nambalbal, New Coloney Azizabad,
Via Wuyan-Meej Road, Pampore PPR J&K 192121